The 2012-2013 MLB off-season is well underway and the Baltimore Orioles front office is in full motion as they traded utility infielder Robert Andino yesterday to the Seattle Mariners for OF Trayvon Robinson. With a surplus of middle infielders it does not come as a surprise that the O's made this move.
Baltimore acquired 2B Alexi Casilla earlier this off-season, claiming him off of waivers from the Minnesota Twins that created this surplus and the question for the Orioles front office became, Andino or Flaherty? To me the choice was easy, so long Andino!
- Andino hit .211 with seven homers and 28 RBI in 384 at bats in 2012.
- Andino struck out 100 times in those 384 at bats
- Robert committed 13 errors resulting in a .975 fielding percentage.
Now Ryan Flaherty:
- First, Flaherty hits from the left side of the plate which is huge off of your bench or to be able to implant him into the starting line-up against a tough right hander.
- Flaherty hit .216 with six homers and 19 RBI in just 153 at bats, which after some basic algebra, would result in 15 homers and 48 RBI if he had the same number of at bats as Andino.
- Flaherty committed just three errors resulting in a .979 fielding percentage.
- Robinson is 25 years old, a switch hitter, and plays the outfield.
- In 90 career games in the big leagues, Robinson has a .215 average with five homers and 26 RBI in 288 at bats.
- Robinson began his professional career in 2005, and has had an impressive minor league career thus far playing 754 games with a career average of .281 with 73 homers, 344 RBI, .352 OBP and 169 stolen bases in 2790 at bats.
I believe this is one of those moves that could turn out to be an under the radar great move by the Orioles. We got rid of some garbage and got some potential. Andino has been around long enough that you knew what you were going to get out of him and Robinson still provides that potential, especially being so young.
What do you think about the trade? Good or bad? Let your voice be heard by posting a comment.
Be sure to "like" our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Orioles101
Follow us on Twitter @Orioles_101
Tags: Baltimore, Baltimore Orioles, Baseball, MLB, Robert Andino, Ryan Flaherty, Seattle Mariners, Trayvon Robinson