The Baltimore Orioles, much to the disappointment to most Orioles fans, have been very quiet this offseason in regards to marquee free agent signings or trades. They have been one of the consistent teams in being rumored around big deals, but the deals never happen, so lets see where they are right now in possible future moves.
- P Joe Saunders – The Orioles are one of three teams showing interest in the lefty, who has become more expensive with each left handed pitcher that goes off the market. It is looking like Saunders will want a two year deal in the $15-$17 million dollar range. Baltimore seems to be the lead candidate to land him, but I will not call it a certainty till Saunders is in an Orioles uniform come late February.
- 1B Justin Smoak – Ever since the Seatte Mariners acquired Kendrys Morales from the Angels, Baltimore has been linked to possible trade talks with Seattle for Smoak. Although Smoak has shown he can do some damage with the bat, he had a horrid 2012 where Seattle actually sent him down to AAA Tacoma on a couple of occasions. This would not be a great trade for Baltimore, but if the price is right, do not be surprised if the Orioles made this deal to see if Smoak could figure it out in AAA. My honest opinion would be that I only see a 15%-20% chance this deal will happen.
- 1B Adam LaRoche – One of the biggest free agent names left on the market, Baltimore has been linked several times to talks with Adam. The hang up here is two fold: first Baltimore is struggling with the idea of giving up the draft pick associated with signing the free agent, and two I just do not see the Orioles spending money, and LaRoche wants money. Do not get your hopes up Orioles fans, it would be a miracle if Baltimore actually made this signing.
- P Kyle Lohse – Surprising to see this guy still on the market, but Orioles fans should think that Baltimore is in the running for him. He is going to get a financially lucrative deal and we have all seen that the Orioles do not do that in free agency.
Basically, barring some minor league signings, Saunders remains the only legit free agent that Baltimore is likely to try and sign. The Smoak trade is a possibility, but is not something that will immediately make the team better. Hopefully with a full season of Manny Machado, a healthy Jason Hammel, Nick Markakis, and somewhat healthy Nolan Reimold and Brian Roberts, this team will improve from within. It is still only December, so anything is possible, but I just do not see Peter Angelos spending any money.
Be sure to "like" our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/Orioles101
Follow us on Twitter @Orioles_101
Related VideosReturning Soon!!!!
- Day Two of the Winter Meetings a Little Quieter, Baltimore Orioles Still No Moves Made
- Orioles101 Breaks Down Exactly What the Baltimore Orioles Have Done So Far This Offseason
- Baseball’s Winter Meetings Begin Today, Baltimore Orioles Need to Make Some Moves
- Baltimore Orioles Among Several Teams Quiet So Far at Winter Meetings
Short URL: http://sport-ne.ws/obf